Sunday, September 29, 2013

Growing Up

This time the post isn't about my kids growing up, it's about myself! I recently read the following quote and it rang true as something I've been thinking about lately.

"Who of us is mature enough for offspring before the offspring themselves arrive?
The value of marriage is not that adults produce children but that children produce adults."
Peter Devries

It isn't always a simple task but lately I've been trying to approach every moment as a teaching moment.

Sometimes it is an opportunity to engage Anellah by teaching her a new Bible Story while we take a drive in the car even when it would be easier to just tune out her constant babble.
Sometimes it is an opportunity to teach Capper that we pick up toys before getting new ones out even though it's a lot easier to just pick them up myself.

And so very often it's an opportunity to teach myself that patience is something to be developed and that it's ok if I get angry with my kids sometimes, being imperfect does not equal being a failure.
(That's not beer, it's Root Beer!)
I have learned so much from the past three years of being a parent. I can't say I have loved every minute of it but I can say that I appreciate the challenge. And some days, it isn't a challenge, some days things just seem to come together, on those days I learn things like pure joy when I look in my kids eyes, and seizing the day, and how much our Father in heaven loves us. It sounds cliche but it really is true, parenting reveals to a Mother how deep loves goes and I am so thankful to have a God who loves me like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment