Saturday, March 31, 2018

What I want to remember about today 10 years from now





Tired legs remind me how I worked on the fence-line with a dozing baby on my back. The smell of exhaust in my hair, how I laughed riding in the mini dump trailer as Capper sped around pulling me through the field. The shape of his body proud and serious maneuvering his machine in and out of gear using the clutch...a glimpse into his future. This scratch on my arm, it's a reminder of how the girls and I filled his trailer with sticks and branches while he drove along and brought the brush to the burn pile.


The muddy pile of clothes on the floor; a reminder that girls caught frogs today. Filled a bucket with seven frogs, some green, some brown, one even looked bronze. And that bucket, it was next to the canoe that was left in the pond after the 6 year olds' most recent excursion: a bucket of rocks, a bucket of water, two paddles, and a grimy rake its only remaining passengers.







That ring around the tub, well that reminds me how we spilled dirt in Evelyn's hair while planting potatoes. And the grime under my nails reminds me how I filled buckets with dirt, transported them, planted seeds, excited to watch new growth. Excited for the kids to literally scream again, "The seeds! The seeds! They're GROWING!" Excited to watch them "pick" a snack once we have strawberries and tomatoes, and peas in season.

You see, not too long ago I realized I'm living the life I always dreamed. I love working as a family, I love watching my children learn and work hard themselves. I love being outside and enjoying nature. I love that we are creating a homestead. I love Saturdays where we can just be around each other, work alongside each other, and appreciate the many many blessings we have been gifted. I don't always appreciate it, but today I do. Today I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment