Thursday, January 8, 2015

Be Bright

Last year rather than making a New Year's Resolution I chose one word, the word was "Listen." Throughout the year I tried to focus on that word and it made a difference. I actually listened to strangers rather than just half-heartedly chit-chatting. I listened to my kids and tried to really understand what they were telling me both with their words and actions. I also tried to listen more deeply to what God was telling me. In a way I think I should choose the same word this year since I still have so much room for growth in this area but it really is time for a new emphasis. Perhaps each year I will continue to reflect on past words while adding a new focus.

This year I had been thinking of what word I would choose however then Anellah's school asked each family to choose a word and the school made a display with all the various words chosen by families. As a family, we chose the word "Bright." Matthew 5:14 tells Christians that we are "the light of the world" and sadly not all Christians act as such a light but this year our family chooses to brighten our light for all to see. This year we seek to "shine light stars" in a "crooked and depraved generation" (Philippians 2:15).

What a beautiful word for Anellah, she is such a dazzling light to those around her from the clothes she chooses to her smile that lights up the room. I also feel like every time Evelyn smiles it is so genuine and pure everything is more sparkly and everyone who sees her face light up can't help but smile themselves. And Capper, his ENERGY just fills the room! The amazing thing about Capper is that although he is just shy of 3 years old he already has an impressive ability to see a need and help! This means anything from running into the room with a baby toy when he hears Evelyn fussing to holding a door for someone whose hands are full, to curling up beside Anellah when she is pouting and gently saying, "What happen 'nellah? What's wrong? Are you sad?" I am blown away by these daily gestures.

Being a light is something I have been thinking about for myself too. How can God most use me? How can I make my light shine brighter? How can I share this light with others? I have some thoughts but I need to mull over them a bit more before I am able to type them out. I am also excited to see what God teaches me about being BRIGHT and illuminating the world around me.

I think this radiant journey has already begun as I struggled from a point of discouragement and disappointment when Anellah was unexpectedly hospitalized after Christmas and we were suddenly faced with the "next step" in her liver's deterioration to a place of acceptance. There will be many times when I am faced with the struggles that Anellah has to go through due to her medical issues and I am sure I will often meet them with sadness. I will not deny myself the opportunity to grieve by ignoring the feelings; by "just trying to move on;" or by "trying to stay positive." So there will be days that I feel sad but even in the disappointment I think God can make my brightness shine through. Who knows perhaps he will bring new people into my life to share their light with me on the days when mine is but a dim flicker and I need some help to see.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written. Thinking BRIGHT loving thoughts for you and the whole family as your journey along with Anellah. Prayers are lifted.

    ReplyDelete