Monday, January 8, 2018

Word

8 days in to 2018. My word for the year, it's "Community." 

2014, the first year I decided to meditate on one word, the word LISTEN. I still remember individual comments, people I really listened to whom I would have otherwise taken as a casual exchange. I remember a man at the library, I remember a stranger on the sidewalk, I remember them because I really listened that year. I hope what I learned that year continues to carry through into the present and that I listen still.
2015 was the year of BRIGHT which included the unexpected death of a child...yet her light shone as bright as ever that year. 
2016 Trust...we began the year obtaining our foster license...we trusted that God would work through that and bring us the child he wanted in our home for a season...we ended the year with not only a foster child but an unexpected pregnancy...it took a lot of trust.
2017 was the year to GROW, and that we did! I grew by 35 pounds and then lost (most) of it with the birth of our newest member. Our house also grows as we are moving from about 1,000 square feet to over 2,000 square feet. Daniel and I were challenged, our marriage was challenged, we spent a lot of the year not really liking each other, but with all growing pains, we made it through and I'd say we are stronger now!

So here I am, feeling like COMMUNITY is the direction I'm headed. As a friend said, "you're all of a sudden done building your house and your family and are instead cultivating what you have built." We are also sinking roots into this valley. We are so happy living in such a close community, but it's not close without some investment so we're moving outward. Opening up to opportunities around us and relationships to invest in. I'll try to let you know what comes about as a result!

1 comment:

  1. Love your words of the year! I started it this year, inspired by you. I'm kinda cheating though b/c mine is technically two words, but a phrase I have on repeat-- "Grace & Peace". Your recap is a beautiful picture of your mission as a family and mom! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete